Lilly pilly trees are beautiful with green glossy leaves, small attractive flowers, and bright pink fruits. Most agree that eating the fruit directly from the tree is an acquired taste, however, turning it into lilly pilly jam is a great way to use the fruit and make a delicious treat
- 1 cup of lilly pilly fruit
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of sugar
How to Make Lilly Pilly Jam
- Place fruit and water into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. This softens the fruit allowing the pectin to release.
- Remove the seeds. If you like a smooth jam blitz everything together using stick blender or food processor.
- Add sugar and bring back to the boil.
- The jam will begin to set after approximately 15 minutes of boiling. To test the setting point of the jam, place a plate in the freezer to cool for 5 minutes. Take the plate out and spoon a little of the lilly pilly jam onto the plate, giving it a minute to cool. Tilt the plate upright so the lilly pilly jam runs, you’re aiming for the jam to slowly run. If it ends up a runny mess cook for another 5 minutes and retest.
- Once the jam is finished, pour into sterilized jars. Seal and label when cool